Every internet user today has to deal with the endless information flow. Research papers, essays, stories, letters have been transferred into the digital format. It entails the reduction of average time spent on the preparation of such written material. Often we observe the situation when the writer is more focused on the content and doesn’t pay attention to a form at all. If grammar mistakes can be easily tracked down by website spell check, poor stylistically designed paper can nullify all the efforts. To make a text look perfect from the standpoint of stylistic, get acquainted with the common mistakes and ways to avoid and fix them.
Common Stylistic Errors to Stay Away From
Stylistic is responsible for the text quality and sets high standards of the writing language. Analyzing the writing for the web detects these common cases of stylistic breaches:
- Not paying attention to the paper format. There is the standardization of formats like APA, MLA for certain types of papers, however, some publishers or platforms can make their demands. It is better to read the requirements to the format carefully and follow them precisely. If there are none, then just keep the general grammar rules like single spacing between sentences and words, use capital letters in headings properly, make citations, or provide the list of references.
- Language complexity. This is the most common mistake, which makes the text almost unreadable. Avoid overloading with specific terminology or local corporate words.
- Follow the initial style. If you are writing for a niche medical journal or magazine, then probably the persuasive style will be a fit, the descriptive style will be more suitable for a personal blog entry. Mix the styles carefully or avoid mixing at all if you are not a pro in writing. Once you have enough practice in writing, you can invent your personal style, which you will be recognized for, but for now, keep the guidelines to look professional.
- Keep in mind lexical density. Build your text logically and don’t exaggerate the paragraphs. It is better to build short sentences to make the whole text smooth and compelling.
- Using abbreviations can be tricky. Again, if this is not the article for a very narrow and specific audience, expand the abbreviation and acronyms.
- Make sure that the inserted tables or lists are stated in the proper place and correspond with the descriptions.
- Avoid Passive Voice constructions. This makes a language live and more engaging.
- If there are some specific requirements to the font, its style, and size, page margin, follow it accurately, otherwise, your paper can be rejected despite its excellence.
Tips to Fix the Stylistics Errors
Before corrections, you need to identify the mistakes. For this purpose conduct the proofreading, preferably a few times. The common errors listed above will help you to pay attention to the parts, which may be problematic. The tips below will help to get your work published without returning it for improvement.
During the first proofreading pay attention to grammar and punctuation. At this point, you may also notice some context inconsistencies when one part of the sentence doesn’t fit logically to another.
While second proofreading, pay attention to language. Make sure that all the words are clear and used properly. Be critical to your piece of writing and cut the words, which don’t carry any logical sense.
Correct the citation and check all the references. This is especially important for academic papers, where improper writing style can lead to plagiarism detection. It won’t hurt to run the whole text through the spell check services. You will be surprised how many misspelled words or typos it can detect in supposedly perfect text. Besides it, some spell checkers look at the clarity of the text, punctuation and offer suggestions for improvement.
Leave the last proofreading for later on. Let your brains be concentrated on something else for a while or simply check the paper again the next morning having a clear head and fresh thoughts.
Forget that packing is less important than content. Follow the marketing approach, when a good and proper design of packing makes a good sale even for a poor product. Wrap your masterpiece to make a positive impression on your reader.